The Kansas Organization for Spacemodeling (KOSMO) is a group of families and individuals in Kansas that have a common interest in model rocketry. KOSMO is a chartered Section of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR).
As you can see in the posts below, we have tried twice to hold our annual Spring Fest launch at the Ellinwood Airport. Weather caused both attempts to be canceled, but we are going to try one more time on May 2nd. This time the launch will be at the Lanterman Farm, rather than the airport. Hopefully we'll have great weather. The launch will be structured as before with a 10,000ft waiver. The main reason we are doing this is because there are a couple groups of people that had wanted to try for a Level 1 high power certification and we wanted to give them one more chance at that. As always, check back here for updates as we get closer to launch.
After much discussion and trying to out guess the weather, it has become clear that flying rockets is just not in the cards for this weekend. The field conditions are quite wet and the forecast gives us no hope of that changing. It turns out that this is very good news for the farmers and gardners in the area, but we will have to wait to fly another day. Thank you for your patience.
As of Thursday evening the Spring Fest launch is still tentatively on, but with a few changes. At this point it looks like Saturday will be the best likelyhood of flyable weather. There is more rain predicted for Thursday night and Friday and an evaluation of the field conditions will be made on Friday. If it is too muddy or if the forecast changes, the launch may still be canceled or possibly even moved to Sunday. Regardless, due to the uncertainty, we will not be filing an FAA waiver. This means that if we do have a launch, it will only be Class 1 rockets. This generally means motors that are H or less and rockets with total liftoff weights less than 1500g (3.3 pounds). For those planning to do Level 1 high power certifications, it may still be possible to do that as a Class 1 rocket. If you have any questions, feel free to send us email at email@example.com.
We are still evaluating the weather outlook to determine which day this coming weekend, if any, we might be able to hold our Spring Fest launch. At present, there are predictions for some wind and a chance of showers and thunderstorms for both Saturday and Sunday. Please continue to monitor this page for further announcements.
Due to the forecast for elevated winds and the dry conditions at the launch site, the decision has been made to postpone the April 4 launch. We will try again in two weeks on either Sat April 18, or Sun April 19. A decision will be made that week as to which day based on the weather forecasts at that time. Please check this site for updates then. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this postponement might cause, but we are dedicated to conducting our hobby as safely as possible and expected conditions have warrented this decision.
The annual "Spring Fest" launch is coming up this weekend, April 4th. This is one of three high power launches this year. It will be at the Ellinwood, KS Airport. We will have an FAA waiver up to 10,000 ft in place. You can expect a wide range of rocketry from small model rockets to larger high power rockets. At least one rocket flight is planned with a "K" motor. There are also several people planning to do a Level 1 certification flight. We are also expecting some 4-H members to be out flying their rocket projects. Something for everyone. Come out as a flyer or a spectator. We do plan to have a BBQ lunch avaialble around noon for a small fee and there are facilities available. So far the weather forecast looks favorable, but in the event that it is too windy or other weather problems arise, we have an alternate date scheduled in two weeks. Check this website for any weather related announcements.